when traditions change...

Thursday, December 25, 2014

When traditions change....

Every person has different traditions for holidays and different things that make Christmas feel like Christmas to them. It is crazy the way we identify our holidays by the things we do instead of the reasons we do them. Coming from a family with yearly holiday get togethers at the same house, with the same people, the same music, the same ornaments, the same story, and all in the same order, when things happen and shake the tradition that has not been broken for decades it becomes a time to reflect and discover what I am actually looking forward to. That has happened this Christmas for me. Long story short- it involves the hospital, divorce, and so many other factors that have changed what is "normal" for Christmas for me and my family. 

  • First, questions without defined answers. 
  • Second, mixed emotions. 
  • Third, new plans being made.
  • Last, acceptance and reflection.

I think the first few steps are self explanatory and natural for anyone (especially a planner and organizer like myself), but the last can be different for every person. This year I have had to realize that Christmas is not defined by going to my grandparents house on Christmas eve with the extended family as well as immediate, waking up early to see Santa has come Christmas morning, and spending the rest of the day lazy around the house. This year it looked a little more like this- small Christmas eve get together with food, presents, and the Christmas story without the whole family and minus a few traditions, seeing what Santa brought around 11pm on Christmas Eve, taking a road trip with my brother to my dad's house as Christmas becomes Christmas day and we drive on through the midnight hours, waking up late instead of early and going to a Christmas lunch I have never been to before with a different side of my family. Wow, for a traditional person that might sound like a nightmare, and I think that is exactly what the devil was trying to make me believe.
This is where Jesus steps in- and ultimately reminds me that no matter how many times I read Luke 2 on Christmas Eve it is so easy to make Christmas about the traditions instead of about the birthday of my King. Therefore, with traditions out the window I had to realize what it was we are celebrating. It isn't family (even though that is wonderful), it isn't presents and Santa Claus coming to town, and it most definitely is not the traditions that take place year after year- it is Jesus and only Jesus. How awesome is it to know that no matter the earthly circumstance or life changes or lack of Christmas decorations at one house and overuse of at the other or anything else that attempts to take away the pure joy of Christmas, it cannot be taken away because my salvation can never be taken away and that is found in the birth of my savior on Christmas Day. Go ahead and tell me something that is better.... just kidding because you can't. So long ago today, the history of everything was changed in a manger because there was no room for Jesus to be born anywhere else. I am sure this is sounding like the cliche Christian Christmas post, but when I really realized what was taking place, nothing means more than radiating with joy during this holiday time because of what was done then, and not what is going on now. So to finish out my phrase from the title...

When traditions change,  Jesus always remains the same.

I hope I never get to the point where my traditions must change in order to once again realize the real meaning, but I will always see the meaning before the traditions. Rejoicing because one day I will be with my king, Jesus, for eternity and I am sure the Christmas celebration in heaven will be more perfect than any tradition or decorations or anything I could even fathom on this earth.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs